Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sometimes I wonder

We read the commands of Jesus that we are to go into all the world and
preach repentance, teach, baptize, and make disciples everywhere.
Matt 28:19, 20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47; John 20:21; Acts 1:8.
Sometimes I wonder if I am really doing mission work for the right
reasons.  Is it because we have been commanded to do so?  Is it
because it is my “duty”?  Is it some sort of penance to go where life is
dangerous and uncomfortable and to do surgery and other hospital work
or other types of mission work?  Am I doing it just because of all
the different and interesting pathology that one can see out where
there is little medical care?  Do I endure loneliness and maybe lack
of appreciation just because I want to “earn” some kind of merit?
Would I give my life for someone who does not appreciate what I am
doing?  Sometimes it seems there is no one who is honest, and
everyone wants to get all they can from the “nasara” or white person.
Taking things or not returning things that have been “borrowed” is a
way of life for some but I see some of that back home too.  What are
we really here for?  Is God expected to make things easy just because
I claim to be one of His children?    On the other hand Jesus has told
us that His followers will have hardship and even persecution so does
that mean if things are going well and easy that maybe I am not
following Jesus as closely as I should?  Or conversely if there are
problems does that mean that I am a follower of Jesus or just reaping
the results of my bad choices?  Most of the world’s major religions
such as Islam, Budhism, Hinduism, Catholicism, etc teach about doing
various things to earn merit for the after life.  Some times I wonder
if maybe we get into the same mental attitude.  I am thankful that we
serve a God that is full of forgiveness and grace and has promised
eternal life with Him if we repent, believe, and accept His
forgiveness and then serve Him because we love Him so much for what He
has done for us.  Jesus gave His life for a bunch of nonappreciative
people even some that claim to be His followers but do not do His
commands.  I am thankful that He has given us the privilege of
communication with Him and with each other.  Continue to pray for us.
Our emails are  drbland@sbcglobal.net and  dfbland01@gmail.com
Love,  Rollin and Dolores

No comments:

Post a Comment