Sunday, September 15, 2013

15 Sept. 2013


Nothing too exciting the past week except that we have been ill.  Dolores had chills and fever and aching Friday so began her Malarone and took her Fansidar today.  She is feeling better today and back to sanding and painting.   Neither of us felt like going to church Sabbath also we were the only “nasaras” (white people) on the compound.  Jamie and Tammy are in N’Djamena to meet some new people that are coming, three public health workers and three student missionaries.  Hopefully they can get through the road.  It takes about 1 ½ to 2 hours to go the 25 miles to Kelo.  It has very deep holes and water  over parts of the road.  Last year it was totally impassable for some months so it is not as bad as last year.
I had some kind of “cold” with cough and sinus drainage the past 3 weeks then a week ago had fever to 101.4 so began Malarone but did not improve so began quinine.  I also began some Augmentin for the sinusitis about that time.  Someone thought I had typhoid even though I have had the typhoid vaccination.  The typhoid test was positive but it should be with the vaccination.  But vaccinations are not 100% so I began the Cipro along with the quinine.  The respiratory and sinus thing has cleared. I think I have had several of the side effects of quinine such as palpatations, tinnitus, partial deafness, stomach upset, crazy dreams, not able to sleep well, bitter taste in mouth, no appetite, etc. but today I’m beginning to feel better as now I am off the quinine.  I ate well at noon and supper or at least better.  Maybe the “cold” was actually malaria coming on or something and should have begun the medicines sooner.  I did not see patients for 3 days but did do rounds today and probably will do some surgeries tomorrow if I feel like it. I still have weakness but hopefully will get a good night’s rest tonight and be stronger tomorrow. This is the first time that malaria if that was what it was has bothered me much.   Maybe it was the combination of that with the respiratory infection as I had a productive cough which has now cleared.  Fortunately the hospital census is low now.  Maybe the malaria epidemic has subsided. 
All four children and their families got together this weekend in Oklahoma.  The two oldest grandchildren were off to college, Rachel at Southern Adventist University and Robby at Southwestern Adventist University. They did email some pictures of the grandkids to us.  Of course they are all beautiful and handsome and very intelligent.  Little Addison is so cute and chubby.  We are looking forward to seeing her next month along with the rest of her family. 
Continue to pray for us and the hospital project.   
Our emails are:  dfbland01@gmail.com and drbland@sbcglobal.net 
Love, Rollin and Dolores

No comments:

Post a Comment