Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sept 22, 2013


It definitely is raining less now than it was and things are beginning to dry up a bit. It is possible that the bus service to Bere  may start again in perhaps 2 weeks if the road continues to dry up somewhat. We have not been anywhere but that is what we are told.  
People are getting out into the fields more or the snakes are beginning to move around more as we seem to have someone with snake bite in the hospital most of the time now.  I lanced a big toe this am to drain off some fluid that was tight. The toe had been biten a few days ago.  
I did a c-section for a baby that I knew was dead but was unable to get it out with a vacuum or with forceps even though it was her 7th pregnancy.  She had been referred from another clinic than I finally got the information that she had been given IM oxytocin.  The light finally clicked on my mind so I knew what the problem was.  It was as suspected a ruptured uterus with lots of blood in the abdomen.   I’m glad I was not successful with vacuum or forceps.  I think she will survive but we did a tubal ligation on her.  We considered doing a hysterectomy but was able to repair the uterus ok. That makes the 5th ruptured uterus I have had since December.  I did have two others that were beginning to rupture when we did the c-section but I did not count them.  I often wonder how many babies and perhaps mothers that have died because of being given IM oxytocin before the baby is born.  Oxytocin is a uterine stimulant to make it contract more. 
Sometimes you think what if I had done whatever or maybe I should have. I had a girl that had swallowed a candy stick and was having severe laryngeal stridor. I could not find any foreign body with the laryngoscope.  She was getting better on IV steroids in fact she went home then they apparently took her to Moundou a day or two later and got an x-ray and went to a clinic there then developed worse stridor and died there. They did not do anything for her there they say.  I wonder if I had done a tracheostomy here maybe that would have been  prevented. Hindsight is always better.
I sometimes wonder what kids have been told or what they are thinking about the “nasara” (white people).  When I was coming to the Ped ward to make rounds this am one 5 year girl went screaming to the other end to her mother when she saw me in the doorway.  Maybe she thought I was a ghost or that the “nasara” would get her.  Almost everyone on the ward was laughing at the incident but she kept with her mom and would not look up.  
Dolores has canned a few tomatoes and continues to paint trim etc. There are 4 banana trees that are blooming and putting on bananas in Danae’s yard now.    
Donations for the project here can be given to the Jay Seventh Day Adventist church and marked for the  “Bere Chad Project”      The address is 13717 East 390 Road, Jay, OK 7436.
Our emails are: drbland@sbcglobal.net  and dfbland01@gmail.com   
Love,  Rollin and Dolores

No comments:

Post a Comment