Wednesday, October 17, 2012

15 Oct 2012 Problems

The devil is still actively trying to delay work here at Bere. Maybe the rainy season is about over. The rains have lasted longer than normal so the “roads” are still with large water holes and very, very rough. We drove towards Lai on the main “road” for almost 10 miles 2 days ago in the afternoon which took over an hour each direction.  Some of the holes are 3 foot deep. It is impossible to get the containers here for at least another 2 or 3 weeks.  BUT we need everyone’s prayers besides praying for roads to dry up, we now need prayer for the government people to let the containers through with the building materials for the hospital. Apparrently the duane (customs) is trying to get 40 million francs ($80,000.00) for that which is supposed to be no charge or at most very minimal.  The donor states that if it can’t be cleared properly soon he will divert the material to Zambia for a building project there. There is supposed to be a contract with the government to let it go through because we are a non-profit, non-government organization trying to help the people of Chad but so far they don’t want to honor their word. The Chad government is known as one of the most corrupt in the world. We need the OR, surgical care area, maternity and private ward beds.  Also housing is needed for volunteers to stay in. Some of the concrete slabs for the various buildings have already been poured and work has been progressing in spite of the difficulties. Some of the Chadian workers were laid off today as they were caught trying to steal some of the cement powder.  Pray that the devils road blocks would be overturned and that the work can proceed. Olen may have to spend a few days in N’Djamena seeing various government ministries such as the Minister of Health, Minister of NGO’s, Minister of Finance, etc. Olen is optimistic that some higher up official can turn it around.  

Also the customs people are trying to get more money for our container which supposedly had been cleared as we got our vehicle out of it already but we are unable to move the container to Bere because the trucks are unable to get through yet especially the big semi that would be required to move the 40 ft container. Olen and Danae are supposed to leave on annual leave next week for 2 months.  They both have not been well lately but are improved now.  Dolores and I feel inadequate but I’m sure the Lord will provide.  Olen is so good with languages and we seem to be very slow.  Pray for our situation in all your prayer circles. Thanks.

Love,  Rollin and Dolores
Our emails are: and
Our blog is:  

No comments:

Post a Comment